I love rules that violate themselves. Somewhere on the Internet, I’m sure, you’ll find a long list. Here are a few of my favorites:
- Avoid cliches like the plague.
- A preposition is something you should never end a sentence with.
- Every sentence a verb.
- Eschew obfuscation.
- No more than one exclamation point is needed for emphasis!!!!!
And here are a few that I came up with myself:
- An affectation unnecessary is word order inverted.
- It must have an antecedent.
- Using a mixed metaphor will dump a bucket of cold water on your souffle.
- A comma-splice is when two independent clauses are connected with the word “and” and a comma-splice is poor usage and you should avoid comma-splices.